Why has one of these online videos been so effective and the other
received so much scorn?
Black Eyed Peas-Obama’s video: Why is it good?
There are several strategies used here to emphazise the dramatic impact of the speech:
– B&W: it can be associated with a historical event, but also increases emotional effect because it reduces the information, it works like white space in graphic design
– Barely displaying any background in close-ups and 3/4 portraits. Notice no one is smiling, the message is not about a “light” speech, but something important and heartfelt
– The music is also very minimal, mostly a guitar again a intimate commons sound that helps the increase the impact
– Use of multiple and diverse (and famous) people repeating Obama’s words at the same time, which represent that those words ring true, or are internalized by many Americans.
Hmmm… ok where to start? EEEWWWWW!
– Extremely cheesy music and lyric that sounds fake and amateur.
– Cheesy editing with lots of “effects” distracts from the message
– Use of too many trait images
– Primarily footage from what looks to be a campaign trail which makes it look more like a slide show than a storyline.
– Footage of the band playing changes angles too many times, adding to the “jittery” fake feeling of this video.
– Just plain bad.
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
© 2014 Flip the Media | All rights reserved.