Dozens of juveniles detained after fireworks incident inside California mall

Dozens of juveniles detained after fireworks incident inside California mall

Dozens of juveniles were detained on Saturday after a chaotic incident involving fireworks and a trash can fire at the SouthBay Pavilion Mall in Carson, California. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department reported that the disturbance began around 2:30 p.m. when deputies responded to reports of a large gathering of approximately 200 juveniles at the mall located on Avalon Boulevard.

According to the Carson Sheriff’s Station, the situation escalated when someone set a trash can on fire and illegal fireworks were ignited inside a store. Deputies issued dispersal orders, but many of the juveniles refused to comply. As a result, between 60 and 70 juveniles were detained for failing to disperse. These juveniles were issued citations and will be required to appear in court at a future date.

Video footage from the scene showed a line of juveniles in the parking lot, several of whom were handcuffed. The sheriff’s department confirmed that no arrests were made, and the detained juveniles were later released to their parents or guardians.

“Criminal activity of this nature is disruptive to our businesses and harmful to our community and will not be tolerated,” read a post from the Carson Sheriff’s Station on social media. The post also thanked community members who promptly contacted law enforcement and expressed gratitude for the cooperation and support from patrons and law enforcement partners.

Despite the chaos, investigators reported no thefts or injuries. The mall was forced to close temporarily due to the disturbance, and law enforcement spent about five hours at the scene managing the situation and processing the detained juveniles.

The incident has raised concerns about the enforcement of chaperone policies at the mall. Sheriff’s Sgt. Robert Fulop mentioned that the mall had a chaperone policy similar to one instituted at the Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance, but it did not appear to be enforced during the incident. “None of them that I am aware of had an adult chaperone,” Fulop said, highlighting the challenges of managing large groups of juveniles in such venues.

The mall was finally cleared around midnight, and the authorities are continuing to investigate the incident. Carson Mayor Lula Davis-Holmes emphasized the importance of community safety and assured that steps are being taken to prevent similar incidents in the future. “The safety and well-being of our residents and businesses are our top priority,” she stated.

The sheriff’s department also indicated that they are looking into holding those who organized the gathering accountable. The incident has sparked discussions about the need for stricter enforcement of policies and better measures to ensure the safety and security of public spaces.

Source: KABC, KTLA, KCAL News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top