South Carolina Man Dies After Allegedly Placing Lit Firework On Head July Fourth

South Carolina Man Dies After Allegedly Placing Lit Firework On Head July Fourth

A South Carolina man has tragically passed away after allegedly igniting a firework on his head during July 4th celebrations. The incident occurred on Thursday, and the man has been identified as 41-year-old Allen Ray McGrew.

According to reports from Fox 35 Orlando, McGrew’s wife, Paige, informed authorities that they were attending a block party on the July 4th holiday. She mentioned that her husband had been drinking for several hours. Around 10:30 p.m., Paige allegedly saw McGrew place a firework on his head. She told authorities that he did this to “show off.”

McGrew lit the firework before placing it on his head, and it exploded, causing massive head injuries. July 4th was reportedly McGrew’s favorite holiday, and his wife noted that he passed away while allegedly “doing what he loved.”

In a video shared on social media, McGrew was seen dancing moments before the tragic incident. The video shows him placing the firework on his hat during the celebrations. Despite the tragic outcome, Paige explained that she will remember her husband as a “patriot” who was “living his best life” when he passed. She described him as someone who “worked hard and played hard.”

The New York Post reported that Paige and other family members initially thought McGrew was joking. Paige explained that he was holding the firework over his top hat, and she believed he was just showboating before setting it on the ground. She did not realize that he had already lit it.

When deputies arrived at the scene, they found McGrew lying on the road with severe injuries. He was pronounced dead at 11:10 p.m. Officials confirmed that McGrew died after igniting a “large firework device” and setting it on top of his head. The coroner stated that the firework exploded on top of his head, causing extreme head injuries.

Bystanders at the block party reportedly attempted to stop McGrew from igniting the firework, but their efforts were unsuccessful. Detectives are conducting an ongoing investigation into the incident.

Firework-related injuries and fatalities are not uncommon. According to Fox 35 Orlando, there were eight firework-related deaths reported in 2023. Additionally, 9,700 people were treated in emergency rooms for fireworks injuries that same year. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has urged consumers not to handle fireworks while intoxicated. The commission also advises against grasping fireworks while they are ignited or while waiting for them to ignite.

This tragic incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with fireworks, especially when combined with alcohol consumption. Fireworks can be unpredictable and dangerous, and it is crucial to handle them with care and caution.

As the investigation continues, McGrew’s family and friends are left to mourn the loss of a man who was known for his love of life and his patriotic spirit. Paige’s words about her husband highlight the importance of remembering the good times and cherishing the memories of loved ones, even in the face of tragedy.

Source: Fox 35 Orlando, New York Post

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top