Trump camp hits back after CNN host cuts feed slams debate moderator’s ‘history of anti-Trump lies’

Trump camp hits back after CNN host cuts feed slams debate moderator’s ‘history of anti-Trump lies’

The Trump campaign has lashed out at CNN after a contentious interview on Monday morning, accusing the network of bias and unfair treatment ahead of the upcoming debate between former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden. The controversy erupted when CNN host Kasie Hunt abruptly ended an interview with Trump campaign spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt after she criticized the debate moderators, Jake Tapper and Dana Bash, for their alleged history of anti-Trump rhetoric.

Leavitt’s microphone was cut off as she was discussing what she described as the moderators’ biased coverage of Trump over the past eight years. “CNN cutting off my microphone for bringing up a debate moderator’s history of anti-Trump lies just proves our point that President Trump will not be treated fairly in Thursday’s debate,” Leavitt told Fox News Digital. Despite this, she emphasized that Trump is still willing to participate in the debate to deliver his message to the American people.

During the interview, Leavitt criticized Tapper and Bash, who are set to moderate the debate, for their past comments about Trump. Hunt responded by defending her colleagues, stating that they have conducted themselves professionally and have covered campaigns from all sides of the political spectrum. Hunt also suggested that attacking the moderators is usually a sign of a losing strategy.

As Leavitt continued to criticize Tapper’s past remarks, Hunt warned that she would stop the interview if the attacks on her colleagues persisted. When Leavitt insisted she was stating facts, Hunt ended the interview, redirecting the broadcast back to the panel. Hunt later reiterated on social media that guests on her show must respect her colleagues, regardless of their political stance.

A CNN spokesperson defended Tapper and Bash, describing them as well-respected veteran journalists with extensive experience in moderating political debates. The spokesperson expressed confidence in their ability to facilitate a substantial and fact-based discussion during the debate.

Trump has previously expressed skepticism about the fairness of the upcoming debate, predicting a 90% chance of bias against him. However, he acknowledged a “good 10% chance” that the moderators would be fair. In a recent podcast appearance, Trump mentioned his past interactions with Tapper and expressed hope that the debate would be conducted fairly.

Tapper has a history of making critical comments about Trump, including comparing him to Adolf Hitler and criticizing his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. These remarks have fueled the Trump campaign’s concerns about bias in the upcoming debate.

Despite the controversy, Trump remains confident and is actively preparing for the debate. He recently held a rally in Philadelphia, where he emphasized the importance of campaign events as a strategy for debate preparation. Trump also expressed confidence in his ability to perform well in the debate, while downplaying concerns about Biden’s preparations.

The upcoming debate is expected to be a significant event in the 2024 presidential race, with both candidates seeking to make their case to the American people. The Trump campaign’s accusations of bias and the contentious interview with CNN have added to the anticipation and tension surrounding the debate.

As the debate approaches, both CNN and the Trump campaign are standing firm in their positions. CNN is defending its moderators and their ability to conduct a fair debate, while the Trump campaign continues to express concerns about potential bias. The outcome of the debate and its impact on the presidential race remain to be seen.

Source: Fox News, CNN

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top